Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Benefit of the Doubt

I had a quote posted at my desk today... "Be kind. Everyone you meet today is going through some kind of a battle." I think those words are very true and I wish I'd learned that lesson earlier in life. Unfortunately, I am only now learning it so I've managed to put my foot in my mouth much more often than I should have.

Like the time Holly and I were out to eat at our favorite restaurant, Charlestons, and I noticed a very well-dressed man in his late 40's eating with his wife next to us. I leaned over to Holly and said in a quiet tone, "How would you like it if I came to dinner wearing sunglasses!?" Then I sat back and kinda smirked to myself, feeling pretty good about how great of a relationship Holly and I have. Date night went great as always and then out of the corner of my eye I saw the couple across the aisle got up from their dinner. The guy was still looking cool in his sunglasses, only this time I noticed his seeing eye dog get out from under the table. Not only did I feel bad for thinking he was just trying to be cool, but it immediately dawned upon me that the blind have super-human hearing to make up for their loss of sight. I'm just glad he didn't get up and smack me. =)

Anyway, the movie's on and Hol and I are going to relax an on the couch and enjoy it together.

No comments: