Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Safety vs. Looks

A funny thing happens as we get older. We seem to care less and less what other people think. At least I do. I realized this today when I shamelessly put attached little circular mirrors to both our cars' side mirrors and donned my tight black circulation-socks before putting on my black velcro dress-sneakers.


Don't look too closely, my mirror is actually dirty, as it my car. Murphy's law of car-washing and weather keeps kicking in when I wash it. (Oh, and I took this photo with my camera phone, that's why it's not very good quality. Had to put that disclaimer in there. =)

Anyway, it got me thinking, life would sure be a lot easier if we learned earlier on not to really care so much what other people think. I mean, it's good to care what your spouse, parents and family think, but all too often, we care more about what our friends think. Or what total strangers think.

I saw a really nice car driving down the road last week with heavy-duty rubber adhered around the entire back and front bumper. I guess the guy likes to bump into cars as he parallel parks, or maybe he bumps his garage wall when he parks it at home. I say, "Good on ya, man!" Way to be functional and do what makes sense regardless of how your Lexus now looks. Beats repainting your bumper every 3 months.

Okay, I was joking about the compression-socks and shoes, but the mirrors are great and they're staying. I don't care what you think. =)

4 comments:

Allison Sangree said...

Good for you !! (I did get a good laugh out of the circulation socks =).
I tell you what, we all need to learn that lesson... to please God rather than man, and the sooner the better!

Anonymous said...

I didn't get a good laugh out of the socks, I thought he was serious! I was thinking to myself "Just can't see Christian in those socks with velcro sneakers!" Actually, wait about 20 years and you'll be surprised! I wear "Mom jeans" now! Wouldn't have caught me dead in those 25 years ago! I DO have some low rise, flaired ones, too, but it's comfort us old people go for now!!

davy said...

Hey Christian-I know I left a post earlier, but it doesn't seem to show up. So, if you didn't get it, I put it on my blog too at www.xanga.com/dknapp9210.

davy said...

I am going to WPPI. I really reccomend it. If you decide to go, let me know. I usually stay with a friend of mine, but I may get a hotel room this year. Let me know, if you don't bring the whole family, we could split a room.