Thursday, February 08, 2007

The Joys of Babies

Today has been one of "those" days already. It started out with a terrible night's sleep since Storie was up every hour to beg another meal. Then Addie woke up and erased any hopes of catching a morning nap.

The brain is a wonderful thing, erasing horrible and painful memories very efficiently. We had mostly forgotten what it's like to have a newborn in the house, but we're shocked back into reality.

How do other couples do it?! We have such a wonderful support network. Probably second to none. Seriously. I mean, Holly's Mom spent the first week back at home with us and did SO much to keep the household going. Neighbors have made and brought over multiple delicious meals with salads and desserts even! And our church gave us a really nice gift card and has brought over meals and has been praying for us... My parents are planning to come next and stay for about a week, then travel on to visit my brother in California, and then back here again for several days to help out yet again.

And with all that, we're still reduced to tears today in frustration at not being able to sleep or keep up with all that needs to be done just to live and run a household and business (and it's our slow season even!).

And here's another interesting fact... Today, and the feelings we have today, will all come back to me the moment Holly brings up the idea that maybe it's time to have another baby. I'm immediately overwhelmed with the awesome and daunting work and responsibility of it all. Not Holly, though. She thinks of all of the beautiful and cute things that come with kids. I wish we could put our heads together and combine both of our thoughts on it when it comes up in a couple of years. =)

I guess that's life, and the difference between guys and gals, if I can be so bold as to make a broad generalization like that. I know it's not always the case, but it's generally the case, I would say.

Anyway, hope I haven't completely bored you. Today is our 4th wedding anniversary, so I hope Holly can get a nap in so she might be able to enjoy going out to eat or something. The kids are headed down to Grammy & Pa Pa's house as I type. Talk about a welcome relief and an amazing support network. Maybe we'll just sleep our entire date night tonight. I can't imagine we're going to feel like watching a movie or spending a long dinner at a favorite restaurant.

3 comments:

SES said...

Happy anniversary you two. I wish you speedy erasure of painful memories! lol. I'm sorry, I can only imagine your frustration and fatigue. Love you guys and praying for ya! I'm off to cancel my date for tomorow night...

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, too, you two! The first 3 months of newbornism are the hardest! Until that first smile of recognition, your heart melts and all the rest fades! I can't imagine the weight of responsibility, though, that rests on a man's shoulders! But, I'm thankful that you are taking it seriously and not ignoring it like many men in this country! AND you do seem to be enjoying it by the sounds of your videos!

Anonymous said...

AW! You poor guys. Move back to PA and I promise a support system like you've never even dreamt of - not that you're dreaming much these days anyway. =) I think newborns are God's way of keeping us very dependent on Him. I'm never more motivated to keep things clear between us than when I'm begging Him for a good night's sleep for our family. I think I'll spend my first millenia in heaven catching up on sleep too. A couple months will change a lot of things here on earth too. Love ya.